Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"We must learn and then teach our children that niceness does not equal goodness. Niceness is a decision, a strategy of social interaction; it is not a character trait. People seeking to control others almost always present the image of a nice person in the beginning. Like rapport building, charm, and the deceptive smile, unsolicited niceness often has a discoverable motive."  excerpt from The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker.

Reading The Gift of Fear gave me so much insight into my own intuitions and why it is important to rely on our instincts.  I think this book is a good read for every woman (and man).  There are many stories the author relates that give good examples of when fear is a survival instinct and what signs to watch for that indicate something harmful may happen.

I know there have been times in my life when I have ignored red flags or gut feelings and later realized that in doing so it cost me something. It seems that too often, it takes a red flag to crack me hard on the head before I pay attention. After reading this book, I feel more prepared to pay attention and tune into my senses and intuitions more.

Feel free to share your stories of following your "gut" or the time(s) you didn't. We can all learn.

1 comment:

  1. I started this book. I couldn't finish it, but I really appreciated a lot of the ideas it presented. Especially the ideas of learning to trust myself. It also got me thinking about managing my fears: I had been SO afraid of all men, and that wasn't rational. By calming the general fear, I found I could trust the more specific fears.

    ReplyDelete