Friday, February 17, 2012

Last night I was chatting with my daughters and I related a story that had been posted on FB yesterday about a young BYU female student receiving a hand written note on Valentines Day from a young man on campus. The note was not a love note. The note was berating her for her choice of clothing. The young lady then took a pic of herself to show her outfit she was wearing that day. By everyone's standards (except the young man's apparently) she was dressed very modestly and tastefully. My thirteen year old commented...maybe he would want to see women dressed like the Middle Eastern women...covered from head to toe. That way he wouldn't see anything that would make him think naughty thoughts.

I agreed with her and that started a discussion on why it is that society expects women to cover up what God gave them so men won't be tempted by naughty thoughts or desires. Us girls decided it is not our responsibility to police men's thoughts. Men will think what they think no matter how a woman is dressed and we shouldn't feel fear for having curves and desirable places a man would want to spend time visiting ...wink wink. 

My daughter told us about a young gal in her class that is afraid to refer to her breasts as anything other than "these". My daughter told her rather emphatically "They are boobs OK!!!"  I pointed out that home is where fear of our bodies begins; with messages from our parents and leaders that make us feel fear of our own sexuality.

I might have shared a little too much with my daughters from time to time but I have a feeling they are not afraid of their God given femininity and they would be the girls that would chase that sad young man on BYU's campus down and choke him for giving them a note like that. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/brittany-molina-byu-stude_n_1283274.html

No comments:

Post a Comment